[HECnet] Visit to the Living Computers Museum

John H. Reinhardt johnhreinhardt at thereinhardts.org
Sat Sep 1 13:28:10 PDT 2018

In Texas here you have a whole assortment of plans.  You can get a plan that uses only power generated by solar or by wind or by hydro.  Plans that have "free" power on weekends and you paw for weekdays, or vice versa.  Or pay for evenings only.  Just about any situation imaginable.  My current plan has a 12-month contract.  I pay OnCor (the local power company) $3.49/month plus 3.4556 cents per KWh.  I pay Reliant (the power supplier) $5.00/month plus 3.7 cents per KWh. Averaging about 7.7 cents total per KWh.  Highest bill so far was July - $164.18 for 2184.4 KWh.  But I haven't re-assembled my hardware yet so that doesn't include any computer costs other than my personal Mac Pro, my work laptop and my wife's two computers. I have yet to put up my MSA SAN disks, two XP1000's, MicroVAX 3100 M95 or my RX2660 and ZX6000.

The great thing about living in Ohio was that for about 5 months I could open the windows and have Mother nature cool the basement. In Texas the winter will barely be cool enough to do anything. I'm sure I'll be paying more to run less and probably keep more shut down when not in use.

John H Reinhardt