[HECnet] My RSTS/E system...

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Sep 2 05:37:13 PDT 2018

Hi all. I thought I'd just make a final report on this story.

This turned out to be a combination of two issues.

1) There is a bug in the RSX kernel, which can cause crashed by any
program, if they just do the right (wrong) thing. I've known about this
problem for quite a while, and it has been fixed in my non-released
RSX-11M-PLUS V5.0. So if that ever goes out, this problem is no more.

2) There was a bug in the program to connect to RSTS/E from RSX
explicitly, which triggered the #1 bug. This bug I have now fixed as
well, so the program works fine, even on older versions of RSX. When
that bug was introduced, I have no idea. I would assume that it wasn't
there from the start, or I would have expected that DEC would have noticed.

Anyway, all is good. And if someone wants to, they can fetch the fixed
RRS program from MIM::DU:[5,54]RRS.TSK

   Johnny