[HECnet] Are any of these guys still around?

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Thu Sep 6 16:35:01 PDT 2018

> On Sep 6, 2018, at 3:47 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>
> On 2018-09-07 00:44, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>> On 2018-09-07 00:39, Robert Armstrong wrote:
>>>    I’m looking to purge some obsolete nodes from my database…
>> Well, you can always purge your database whenever you want to. I'm not going to purge my database, though. So if you copy from Mim, you'll have to clear these out afterwards each time.
>
> I should probably clarify my position here, I just realized.
>
> I don't, at the moment have any policy on purging my nodename database. I recognize that maybe I will need one eventually.
>
> Do other people have some opinion/though surrounding this?
>
>  Johnny

I have thoughts on this from an interesting perspective.  I was on HECnet till about a decade ago, then life  decided to be a royal pain.  Once things settled down, I kept my VMS systems offline most of the time.  About a year ago, I started running VMS full time again.  It was really nice to already have systems registered.  I dropped back off for a month or so this summer due to extreme temps (didn’t want to risk my last working VAXstation 4000), but by next summer I hope to have my Area Router virtualized, so that I can stay online.

Right now MONK and PDXVAX are physical systems, but everything else I have on HECnet right now is virtual, and I’m planning to add some additional virtual systems.  It wouldn’t be too hard for me to bring further physical systems online, including several PDP-11’s, but I’m finding my wallet really likes virtual machines. :-)  For me, the OS matters more than what it’s running on.  What can I say, I’m an OS Junky, to me different OS’s are the best “video games”. :-)

Zane