[HECnet] Multics online as node 1.770 (BANAI)

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Sep 7 10:00:24 PDT 2018

> On Sep 6, 2018, at 7:47 PM, Jeffrey H. Johnson <jhj at trnsz.com> wrote:

> Other things being worked and in various stages of completion are X.25 networking and IBM 3270 terminal support. If we can complete the X.25 support, I envision creating a 'BAN X.25 PSDN', a virtual hobbyist Telenet/Tymnet-like PSN network for X.25 systems. There are other exciting Multics projects in progress by other parties as well.

X.25 is basically a datalink layer (HDLC with some tweaks).  What would such a virtual network look like?  I figure something like tunneling X.25 semantics over TCP, or something along those lines.  Or sending approximate X.25 PDUs over UDP, the way the SIMH DDCMP implementation does for that data link.

If you get this working, it would maybe open up the possibility of reviving the DECnet over X.25 machinery.  :-)

	paul