[HECnet] Sunlink DNA

Jeffrey H. Johnson jhj at trnsz.com
Tue Sep 18 10:22:28 PDT 2018

> On Sep 18, 2018, at 10:52 AM, Zane Healy <healyzh at avanthar.com> wrote:
>
> Consider this, this very likely ran on 68k based Sun hardware, it may have run on early Sun-4 systems.  This is in the SunOS 3.x timeframe, the question is, was it past that timeframe.

If such an old version existed, it would give me an excuse to get 'tme' running at least. Also, 1986 would place the software well after Phase IV/IV+ and before Phase V's rollout, so I imagine if it could be located it would be quite interoperable, even if it had to be used on SunOS 3. That seems to be historically more interesting than using SunOS 4.

> Something else of interest in that announcement is the mention of a VT100 emulator for Sun.

Yes. However, I imagine that software is quite obscure at this point. X11 was released in 1987, and xterm was available with it. While I'm not a Sun history buff, and don't know when Sun switched to X11 from OpenWindows (did they ever use NeWS?), regardless, this seems to indicate that software likely had a very short period of viability and likely wasn't widely distributed.

> My fear is that this is like DECnet/RT (the RT-11 version).  As far as I can tell, no one has a copy of that (I’ve been looking for 20 years).

:(

--
Jeffrey H. Johnson
jhj at trnsz.com