[HECnet] Speaking of old decnet releases

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Sep 18 15:44:30 PDT 2018

A couple of more comments:

The manual I have for DECNET-8 is dated February 1977.
The timeline for DECnet on Wikipedia claims that phase II was introduced
in 1975.
According that same article, it would appear that only RSX ever had
DECnet phase I.

But information on Wikipedia should as usual be taken with a grain of
salt. Especially when it a bit more obscure information, for which there
are few sources, and the information might be written by someone without
direct experience.

A couple of quotes from the code, that might help:

 From NSP.PA:
/NETWORK SERVICES PROTOCOL FOR DECNET/8
/ IMPLEMENTED AT SPEC LEVEL 2.2
/
/J. ROTH        23-NOV-75
/JR             17-DEC-76       ADDED VERSION 2.2 CHANGES
/
/  WARNING:
/
/  THERE EXISTS A BUG IN THE NETWORK DESIGN, SUCH THAT DROPPAGE
/  OF LEADING 0 BITS IN THE FIRST FRAME OF THE NSP DATA MESSAGE
/  IS NOT DETECTED BY CRC. TO CIRCUMVENT THIS BUG, THIS NSP CODE
/  ALWAYS SETS THE NSP 'BLOCKING' BIT WHEN SENDING, AND IGNORES IT
/  WHEN RECEIVING.
/
/
/ DECNET/8 RELEASE VERSION 1
/ DECNET/8 PATCH LEVEL A
/ APRIL 8,1977
/
         VERSION=01
         PATCH="C
/JR01   16-MAY-77       FIX CONNECT REJECT BY DISCONNECT BUG
/  NSP02        SCR 9/77        FIX INTERRUPT PACKET BUG        [02]
/

So, despite the comments, it's version 1C, and not 1A. And the last fix
was in September 1977.
And "SPEC LEVEL 2.2" might be useful in figuring out what phase it might
be, and it might be a hint for phase 2.

   Johnny