[HECnet] Sunlink DNA

Tim Sneddon tim at sneddon.id.au
Tue Sep 18 18:16:20 PDT 2018

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 10:52 PM Zane Healy <healyzh at avanthar.com> wrote:

> Consider this, this very likely ran on 68k based Sun hardware, it may have
> run on early Sun-4 systems.  This is in the SunOS 3.x timeframe, the
> question is, was it past that timeframe.  Something else of interest in
> that announcement is the mention of a VT100 emulator for Sun.

I too went looking for the SunLink/DNA software in about 2001 and had no
luck at all.  That was back when the field office was still staffed by
former DEC employees that survived the DEC -> Compaq merger.  So, they knew
where to look and what to look for.  Unfortunately, none had heard of it
and despite looking did not come up with it.

The one thing I did find was a company called Ki Research.  The released a
product called KiNET.  They supported a raft of UNIX versions and
architectures.  I got talking to them because they also listed Linux and I
made some enquiries.  Unfortunately, the Linux version was not really
"available" as they did not believe that it was possible to change a NICs
MAC from Linux.  Of course, if you had the right card (like a Tulip) then
this was not a problem.  There were a number of emails back and forth
about  releasing the source, which the person I was speaking to seemed keen
to do.  However, they eventually stopped replying and the conversation went
dead.

A quick Google reported that Bob Koehler is quoted as actually having used
it, so I've dropped him a line.  Maybe it will turn something up.

Regards, Tim.