[HECnet] Speaking of old decnet releases

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Wed Sep 19 14:30:29 PDT 2018

> On Sep 19, 2018, at 5:26 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>
> On 2018-09-19 20:16, Jeffrey H. Johnson wrote:
>>> On Sep 19, 2018, at 1:45 PM, Steve Davidson <steve at davidson.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> From what I remember it was phase iii.  I used to support IAS-11 between 1980-1983 at the Corporate Operations Group, Maynard, MA
>> That's awesome! IAS doesn't get the love it deserves.
>> I'm should to try bringing up an IAS 3.4 system again from the tapes at Bitsavers later tonight - I've previously run 3.0, but had some issue during the SYSGEN on 3.4 — exactly the issue I can't recall right now.
>> But, unfortunately seems it won't able to be on HECnet.
>
> There is (limited) compatibility between phase III and phase IV.
> It would be possible to be on HECnet, but only accessible by other machines in the same area, I think.
> Poul would know better what the restrictions are.

Yes, you can only get to nodes in the same area as the one the Phase III node is connected to.  That is, except for application that support stringing together node names.  Some use object 63 ("passthrough" or "PMR") for that; I need to reverse engineer the protocol at some point if I can find a program that talks to that object.  Does anyone have that code?  It was generally used on the DEC internal network because that was too big, but I don't think it was let out.

	paul