[HECnet] PSTHRU object 123

G. gerry77 at mail.com
Wed Apr 3 07:31:20 PDT 2019

On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 09:29:41 -0400, Paul Koning wrote:

> I had in my memory that it used object 63.  Thanks.  My goal is to reverse
> engineer this protocol at some point and create a new implementation.  If
> sources for it turn up (for any OS) that would help a lot.  It can't be very
> much code.

These are (some) documentation and sources for TOPS-10:

http://pdp-10.trailing-edge.com/tops10_tools_bb-fp64a-sb/01/10,7/psthru/psthru.plm.html
http://pdp-10.trailing-edge.com/tops10_tools_bb-fp64a-sb/01/10,7/psthru/psthru.mac.html
http://pdp-10.trailing-edge.com/tops10_tools_bb-fp64a-sb/01/10,7/psthru/pmr.mac.html

> FAL doesn't explicitly do PMR at all; instead it "just works" provided the
> intermediate nodes are VMS, because of transparent network access in RMS32.

Yup! In fact there is some specific bit in the FAL$LOG logical name which
has to be turned on for it to refrain from continuing if it finds that there
is more than one node in the file specification :)

MAIL too has its internal parsing for "::" and thus does not require it.

Anyway, if someone wants the VAX binary version I have, I could send it to
someone for sharing on HECnet, or I could just attach it here on the mailing
list: once compressed it's just 10-15 kB :)

Bye,
G.