[HECnet] Why does MIM not list 23.1023 as a known node?

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu Apr 11 17:02:40 PDT 2019

> On Apr 11, 2019, at 7:45 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>
> On 2019-04-12 01:28, Supratim Sanyal wrote:
>> Johnny - if I remember right, I have seen nodes with no names show up at http://mim.update.uu.se/hecnet without names in brackets, for my nodes when I haven’t told you to add them yet, or others too. no?
>
> "Known nodes" is a tricky thing. It might also be different for different OSes.

It might be but it should not be.  The DECnet architecture specifies precisely what the term means.

Start with "active nodes": that means every node known to be reachable.

Given that, "known nodes" is defined as the union of active nodes and named nodes.  So a nameless node is known if it is shown as reachable by routing data (or by having an active adjacency), but not otherwise.

	paul