[HECnet] DAP

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 19:03:35 PST 2019

I would say it because of the code snippet at the bottom of G.'s,
letter, viz:

FAL$RENAME:: ; Entry point BBS #DAP$V_GEQ_V70,(R9),10$ ; *Exit if
partner does not support* BRW FAL$UNS_ACCFUNC ; *DAP V7.0*

The first instruction is a branch-on-bit-set and it looks like it is
testing a bit and branching if it is set. It would appear that bit is
associated with V7 DAP, based both on the symbolic value and comment. If
that branch isn't taken, then an unconditional branch is taken to what
appears to be an unsupported function return. However, I am in no way a
VAX assembly hacker. We looked it briefly when our chemistry department
got their first VAX and decided to stay with high level languages. While
the VAX had some fun stuff, the PDP-10's instruction set was considered
far easier; definitely the paging subsystem. However, I suspect that was
more because we had decades of experience with it. The VAX multiple byte
architecture had some remarkable similarities to a number of 360, 3033
and 4341's that we had, which weren't as much fun to program in
assembler. At any rate, that's why I said, "my guess".