[HECnet] Tops-20 ANONYMOUS FAL Preliminary Testing Results/DAP Query

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 16:07:44 PST 2019

Yes, Unix' ls does have its unique ideas...  I was forced to implement
some of them as certain brain-damaged FTP clients think that when are
you speaking to an FTP server which claims TVS compliance (I.E., Tops-20
Extended Mode FTP), that you must be Unix and be able to shell out.
They literally issue the ls directly over the control channel instead of
the RFC959 compliant STAT or LIST verbs!  No where is this documented in
any RFC; you've got to snoop the line.  Grrr...

But we may be talking apples and oranges; there is a difference between
VMS requesting a listing of a locally attached file system (or even in a
cluster) and using DAP.  My guess is that DAP only allows one response
per command; that quite different from the previous case where you are
free to whine about each file.

Tops-20 directories are quite different animals than either Unix or
Windows, both in implementation and semantics.

I will follow up with you off list concerning tests with RSTS, perhaps
over the weekend when I'm finished figuring out what to do.

I have some very fond memories of the RSTS system at Columbia. It was
our first experiment in time sharing technology before we acquired 6
DECSYSTEM-20's.  The RSTS system was an 11/50 running RSTS/E and it was
a fabulous base for introductory programming. A number of us were sad to
see it go as opposed to being replaced with an 11/70, but we had to put
a 20 there.