[HECnet] Tops-20 ANONYMOUS FAL Preliminary Testing Results/DAP Query

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Dec 20 16:18:57 PST 2019

On 2019-12-21 01:07, Bill Cunningham wrote:

>>> Did that exist?  I'm fairly sure it did.  What about DECnet for
>>> RSX-11/D?  Not so sure about that one.
>>
>> Both existed. See the spd at http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/spd/
>>
>>   Johnny
>>
> Nice link! Tell me if one OS was going to be learned, I would like
> anyone out there who knows, what would it be? RSX RT DECnet VMS or what?
> Taking into consideration, easiness to learn because it would take some
> time. And Availability or modernized tools like VMS has of example, TCP/IP.

DECnet is not an operating system. And VMS is obviously not for the PDP-11.

If you want both DECnet and TCP/IP, then the choice is essentially only
RSX-11M-PLUS.

But apart from that, it depends on what you prefer. RSTE/E is more pure
timesharing, RT-11 is more pure realtime and minimalistic, RSX-11D and
IAS are sortof timesharing with realtime with more of a focus on
timesharing and large systems. RSX-11M is reatime with timesharing, and
a little primitive in some corners, while RSX-11M-PLUS is essentially
RSX-11M with lots of extra bells and whistles added, so still realtime
with timesharing, but friendlier, more efficient, and more capable.

In the end I would probably boil it down to either RSTS/E or
RSX-11M-PLUS, depending on preferences and what tools you want.

For most parts, there are more and more capable tools for RSX-11M-PLUS,
but RSTS/E is probably still a bit friendlier.

If you know VMS, then in many ways RSTS/E will be rather familiar at a
user level, but RSX will be more familiar if you start digging under the
hood.