[HECnet] Tops-20 ANONYMOUS FAL Preliminary Testing Results/DAP Query

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 17:51:52 PST 2019

That is an extremely difficult question to answer; they all had their
quirks and advantages, which is not surprising given that they targeted
very different markets.  As a whole, I would say that the quality of
DEC's documentation was the same on all the platforms; I found it easier
to wade through than IBM's VM/CMS docs.

In terms of raw capacity, probably the later mainframe operating systems
would be the best choice as these most approximate what is available
today on commercial platforms (with the clear exception of the graphics
interface).  What matters is the address space and functionality:

 1. VMS started out on a 32 bit platform as a high super-mini computer.
    DEC soon grew this into low mainframe class with the VAX 8650
    series, the Alpha being a completely modern platform. VMS is an
    acquired taste; some people think DCL is great and others...
 2. Tops-10 started as a mainframe platform and was eventually rewritten
    to have symmetric multi-processing.  The command interface is simple
    enough.  The process paradigm is limited in that there is a
    one-to-one mapping of one process per job.  The address space had
    been limited to 256K, but I think they may have done Extended
    Addressing.  I believe TCP/IP may have been available from a 3rd
    party vendor.
 3. Tops-20 is more modern, having a multi-process per job architecture
    and a 30 bit address space.  Many Unix programs are easily ported.
    It ran the most networking protocols, including TCP/IP.  It is quite
    easy to learn due to the COMND% interface, which provides
    completions, guiding, prompting and recognition. There was a time
    when there were more of these systems on the ARPAnet then Unix.  I
    have been looking to write an IP6 interface after I complete some
    more items on my To Do list.

But the mini-computer operating systems are just plain cool.  It is
amazing what they squeezed into the PDP-8's 12 bit address space and
PDP-11's run some of the most interesting collection of OS's that I've
ever seen.

It really all depends on what you feel like playing with; it's a
profitable learning experience all around.