[HECnet] Simplest PDP-11

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Feb 3 13:15:29 PST 2019

On 2019-02-03 22:02, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> What is the simplest PDP-11 CPU/peripheral design that is capable of
> running RSX-11, RSTS/E or BSD?

Define "simple" please. :-)

> Also, what is the minimum disk space needed to install those operating
> systems? I have a plan. Probably not a good one but I'll likely learn a
> lot in the the process so it won't be a waste of time.

RSX-11M-PLUS can run from two RL02, if you just accept the pregen
system. But that's the smallest. If you want to build stuff, something
like an RK07 is required, and that is 28 Megs. But I think it's
recommended that you have two. But that probably is for more reasons
than just running the actual system (it is hard to do an update if you
are running on an RK07, and the update media is an RK07).

RSX-11M definitely gets away with less. RSTS/E would be similar, I
think, while BSD probably wants a little more.