[HECnet] VAX Lisp

Tim Sneddon tim at sneddon.id.au
Wed Feb 27 21:48:05 PST 2019

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 11:41 AM Supratim Sanyal <supratim at riseup.net>
wrote:

> On 1/15/19 9:11 PM, Tim Sneddon wrote:
> > BLISS-32 is definitely in maintenance mode/retirement.  However, you can
> > still get it from the Freeware CD.
>
> Andy Hoffman's VAX VMS 4.7 distribution includes BLISS-32 too; it seems
> to work fine on OpenVMS VAX 7.3 as well, at least for a "Hello World".
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.os.vms/W7XAFcQOTH0

Don't get me wrong, BLISS-32 works fine on V7.3.  My point was that there
will definitely be no more releases on VAX and the last couple releases,
which are now a couple of decades old, were simply to fix small, but
inconvenient bugs.

Personally, BLISS is my favourite language,  I got over the fact it lost
out against C long ago :-)  Here is the BLISS family tree I put together a
number of years ago:

http://tim.sneddon.id.au/blog/Posts/A_BLISS-ful_family_tree

I can also say that while I am not writing BLISS every day (for a long time
now) I am using it at least once a week!

Regards, Tim.