[HECnet] new vdsl router

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Jan 11 14:18:25 PST 2019

> On Jan 11, 2019, at 2:51 PM, Hans Vlems <hvlems at zonnet.nl> wrote:
>
> The good news is that the local telephone exchange got upgraded. So finally, after 15 years ADSL could be upgraded to VDSL. Now we have 100 Mb/s down and 29 Mb/s up, which used to be 10 Mb/s and 0.6 Mb/s respectively. And that for €6 per month more. Everybody happy.
>
> Except my A44RTR simh VAX which feels kind of lonely suddenly. The new vdsl modem has no port forwarding. The bridge program does no longer work.
>
> What alternative(s) do I have?
> Hans

Does the modem include the router function?  If you can make it be just a modem -- pretending to be connected to a single computer without any forwarding needed -- you can hook it to a Linux box configured as NAT gateway, IPtables firewall, etc.  I have that setup here (except that it's a cable modem; DSL has never been an option anywhere around here).  Works great, and it also lets me throw in additional oddball services like my own Subversion server.

	paul