[HECnet] Anonymous FAL (Tops-20)

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Jul 3 16:21:10 PDT 2019

On 2019-07-03 14:15, Thomas DeBellis wrote:
> I have some software that I'd like to post, but don't recall how to
> configure FAL to allow for an anonymous connection; to download from a
> restricted directory.
>
> I know how to do it for the FTP server (seeing as I wrote it), but ...
> different code base.
>
> I can only vaguely remember what we did for CCnet at Columbia University
> in the 1980's, but I think it was kind of a hack.

VMS, as someone else mentioned, have a default account for FAL.

RSX do not have that. However, you can use proxy access in RSX to
achieve something similar. Enable incoming and outgoing proxy, and
define a default account that incoming requests should be using that way.

If TOPS-20 can do this I don't know. But it's a suggestion for something
else/more to check.