[HECnet] Anonymous FAL (Tops-20)

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 11:57:53 PDT 2019

Yes, clearly one couldn't hope to cross compile the MACRO-11 to a PDP-10
processor.  Those are indeed vastly different duchies...

It was the BLISS NICE code that I was thinking about.  DEC was really
pushing to have all development done in that high level systems
programming language (they had picked up about C) in the 1980's.  There
was some amount of interchange between the platforms--corporate was
really on about it.  However, there was significant engineering push
back, if for no other reason that nobody in their right mind who was
halfway decide at MACRO-10 would be caught dead using BLISS.  It was
just too easy to outperform.

That's too bad about sources; DEC used to be quite open about them,
under the mistaken belief that they were a hardware company.  So
DECsystem-10's came with Tops-10 source and were much modified.  Ditto
TSS-8 and OS-8 for the 8/I and 8/E.  For Tops-20, the sources cost
$20,000, which might be something like $60,000 today.  So not as many
sites had them.  We did as did WPI, MIT, Standford, CMU, CWR and many
others.

At one point, I do remember seeing certain VMS sources, but I don't
recall the context.  It might have been when I was still with DEC.  I
guess you can't even threaten to pay them to get any, huh?  Bummer...