[HECnet] DECnet Implementation and Productization of RSX-11M, 11S, 11D and IAS (was Re: Anonymous FAL (Tops-20))

John Forecast john at forecast.name
Sun Jul 14 12:16:25 PDT 2019

> On Jul 14, 2019, at 1:48 PM, Thomas DeBellis <tommytimesharing at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I had been wondering about the RSX DECnet packaging.
>
> Pre-CI DECSYSTEM-20's may be modeled according to a loosely coupled multi-processor paradigm, with the main KL being communicated with DTE20's, the master one having additional rights.  These were connected to either a front end communications processor (which handled the communications, unit record equipment and I believe the ANF10) and other networking.  These were packaged in separate cabinets as DN20's.
>
> The DN20 subsystems were 11/34 - 11/40 class machines, which might now be better thought of as ancillary processors or even embedded systems, but sometimes were running cut down versions of full blown operating systems.   The front end ran a version of RSX called RSX20F and was somewhat stripped down, not having a login.
>
> A DN20 was termed a DN20 if it ran the 2780/3780/HASP communications code that IBMSPL talked to.  Since I was Columbia Galaxy nerd and knew PDP-11 assember, I also maintained that code (and worked with our VM/MVS folks to fix a pesky bug in the multi-leaving implementation).   As I recall, this was embedded code and precisely RSX based (but it's been at least 35 years since I assembled any of that).  I think I used a 20 based cross assembler to do it.
>
> We did have an RSX20F pack, but I don't recall as I ever looked at source on that.  Or maybe it was on microfiche.
>
> Do you know how DECnet would have been packaged for the DN20 and DN200 (the DECnet based RJE station)?  One assumes it would have been built off of RSX.

If the DN20 used DTE20’s to communicate with the KL, I would expect the code would have been developed out of Marlboro. We (as in RSX DECnet development) had no PDP-10 hardware in our labs and would have found it difficult to code and test such software. The only IBM communication product that I remember is RSX-2780 which ran on both 11M and 11D as standalone applications - I believe there was some attempt to integrate it with CEX but I don’t know if that succeeded.

The prevailing wisdom is that RSX20F is based on RSX-11D.

Around the end of Phase II development (late ’79, early ’80) we provided a snapshot of our current development tree to Marlboro which was used to develop the MCB front end. Looking at the code on Tim Shoppa’s site it looks like this is based on RSX-11S.
> I can't remember whether the DN20 would do anything past Phase III.

I was never involved in the IBM communications side so, unfortunately, I can’t help there.

  John.