[HECnet] HECnet routing costs

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Jul 28 14:47:59 PDT 2019

On 2019-07-28 22:37, John Forecast wrote:

>> On Jul 28, 2019, at 4:03 PM, John Forecast <john at forecast.name> wrote:
>>

>>> On Jul 28, 2019, at 12:00 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>>>
>>> I should correct myself. The exact formula for how the listen timer is set, based on the remote hello timer, is a bit more complex. I remember that I saw it described somewhere, but cannot remember the details right now.
>>> So my "two times hello plus some jiffy" is rather incorrect in fact. It turns out to that for some values in the end, but it varies because of other parameters as well.
>>>
>> It’s defined in the routing spec where it discusses routing parameters (section 4.1 of the 2.0.0 spec). it’s a simple multiplier of the other end’s hello timer, (T3MULT for point-to-point circuits and BCT3MULT for broadcast circuits) so the listener timer (T4) will be set to “hello timer * xT3MULT” depending of the circuit type. For point-to-point circuits, any incoming traffic will reset the listener timer.
>>
> I missed out one important part, xT3MULT are defined as architectural constants so you can’t change their value, T3MULT = 2 and BCT3MULT = 3.

I seem to remember also reading something about a relationship to the
executor delay weight and delay factor, but I might be mixing up several
things here, and I'm too lazy to actually go and try to find the
information. :-)

However, a couple of observations under RSX:
hello timer=15 on ethernet: listen timer=56.
hello timer=10 on ethernet: listen timer=40
hello timer=300 on ddcmp: listen timer=608

So, from that short sample, it would seem that a 3x for ethernet, and 2x
for ddcmp is the basis, but then there is a little bit more added, which
is not totally clear how it is worked out.

   Johnny