[HECnet] HECnet routing costs

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue Jul 30 06:07:43 PDT 2019

> On Jul 30, 2019, at 3:39 AM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:

> Oh well. It works reasonably well anyhow. With the exception of a couple of bugs DEC never saw because they never ran as fast PDP-11s as exist today. People should not try and use FAL between a really fast and a really slow RSX system over ethernet. A transfer of a large file will take hours. I should try and fix that bug at some point.

Bugs?  Or congestion issues causing lots of retransmission?  There are congestion control improvements that were developed shortly after the Phase IV specs were finalized; some of these are in Phase IV-plus.  And much of that work made its way into TCP.

Unfortunately it appears that the Phase IV-Plus specs have not been preserved.

	paul