[HECnet] Multinet 5.5 issues on VMS 7.3 (VAX) under SIMH

Keith Halewood Keith.Halewood at pitbulluk.org
Sun Jun 23 02:46:14 PDT 2019

Hi,

Is anybody running the NPTD functionality in Multinet 5.5 on VAX VMS 7.3 (under SIMH)? If so, how did you get it to work. I switched it on with a simple NTP.CONF and tried to query it. The logfile doesn't change much and I/O counts go up slowly. My attempts to query it usually result in a traceback. I'm a bit concerned by the lack of an NTPDATE command mentioned in the documentation, despite having done a full install. The timezone facility is a bit primitive too.

I'm thinking of giving up with it. I have local TCP services on the machines hosting SIMH instances. One of them returns a local time string in VMS format, so I may make use of that in an RDATE-like fashion.

Keith