[HECnet] Welcome to hecnet

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Thu Mar 7 17:54:13 PST 2019

> On Mar 7, 2019, at 9:56 AM, allison <allisonportable at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 03/07/2019 10:50 AM, Zane Healy wrote:
>
> Hi Zane,
>
> Been a classic comp member for eons as well. and before all that
> alt.sys.* and other usenet groups.

Hi Allison,
I think your one of the few folks that have been on Classiccmp longer than me.  I’m pretty sure you were helping with some of my PDP-8 and PDP-11 questions 20+ years ago.

> The tinkerboard  is an ARM based on the Rpi format only 1.8GHz quad core
> and 2gig of ram.
> I figure that will be adequate for an under 10 watt system.

My guess is that you’ll find is has VAXstation 3100 CPU speeds, though the disk I/O is likely a bit faster (I’ve not done any serious benchmarking).  I have 3 RPi’s, the RPi2 is a “VAX”, one RPi3+ is a "DPS-8/M”, and the other a “KL10B”.  I’m finding that I finally prefer the lower power, and the lower worry of emulation. :-)

Zane