[HECnet] Altavista source

Dennis Boone drb at msu.edu
Sun Nov 10 08:46:27 PST 2019

 > If Altavista was developed by the folks at WRL, SRC and NSL and the
 > source code was released into public domain at some point, there
 > would be a tape dump or something somewhere, wouldn’t it? Any known
 > places too look at?

I thought they started an affiliate program where you could get the code
to build your own products, rather than that they open-sourced it.

We were the first outside org to have a binary copy of the software, in
~1995, and ran it to construct a limited topical index of manufacturing
related sites, for a grant project.  They had just started offering the
binary product.

De