[HECnet] Getting openvms going

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Wed Nov 13 14:28:01 PST 2019

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 2:10 PM, Bill Cunningham wrote:
> On 11/13/2019 3:56 PM, David Moylan wrote:
> > [...]
> > My solution was to install TCP/IP first and then FTP up the license file and
> modify it on OpenVMS.
> >
> > This requires that I enter the licensing manually for UCX (and I
> > usually do decnet at the same time, so DVNETEND, DVNETEXT, DVNETRTG)
> > [I just copy/paste this part across.]
> >
> > Once I’ve got the license file on the OpenVMS machine (licensefile.com in
> this example) I convert it using:
> >
> > $ SET FILE/ATTRIBUTE=(RFM=STM) licensefile.com $
> CONVERT/FDL=SYS$INPUT
> > licensefile.com newlicensefile.com
> >      RECORD
> >        FORMAT STREAM_LF
> > <CTRL-Z>
> >
> > You can then run the new licensefile a la @newlicensefile.com
> >
> > Cheers, Wiz!!
>
> It seems like I remember using mount, as in mount dua0 or the like.

There are many ways to skin a cat.  Some of these ways have
complicated steps and some have fewer.

The latest simh has support to simplify the import of licenses,
source code files and other data from the host system environment
using:

	1) Extract the license files from the email you received
                    and save them somewhere in your local file system
                   (say Hobbyist-USE-ONLY-VA.TXT and Hobbyist-USE-ONLY-I64.TXT)
	2) Start the VAX simulator and enter this command:
		sim> ATTACH TQ -F ANSI-VMS Hobbyist-*
	3) Boot VMS and login on the console and then execute the following commands:
		$ MOUNT/OVER=ID MUA0:
		$ @MUA0:Hobbyist-USE-ONLY-VA.TXT

The "HELP TQ ATTACH" command should help with more detail.

- Mark