[HECnet] Getting openvms going

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Nov 13 15:11:49 PST 2019

On 11/13/19 6:07 PM, Bill Cunningham wrote:
>>> Back in the day, the license was on a piece of paper, and typing was the
>>> only option.
>>    Man I've done a whole bunch of those!  That was one thing that was
>> hard to get used to in the 4.7->5.0 transition.
>
> The license was on paper. And Dave Cutler designed all this, before
> going to Microsoft?

  Not the licensing system (LMF), no.

> I have been dealing with linux and unix a bit. but I
> have noticed a Compiler and TCP/IP for VMS and a GUI. Well they are
> really cranking VMS up, anything better than windows.

  Of course.  Do you find this surprising?  VMS had a GUI thirty years
ago, and TCP/IP even before that.  And compilers for a long list of
languages many years before that.

> But, that's what people use.

  I don't know where you hang out, but I think about 5% of the people I
know use Windows, all of whom have plans to dump it.  And certainly none
of the hardcore technical people I know use it.  I myself have never
used it...I'm not a patient person and I have real work to do.