[HECnet] Getting openvms going

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Nov 13 15:39:22 PST 2019

On 11/13/19 6:30 PM, Bill Cunningham wrote:
>>    I don't know where you hang out, but I think about 5% of the people I
>> know use Windows, all of whom have plans to dump it.  And certainly none
>> of the hardcore technical people I know use it.  I myself have never
>> used it...I'm not a patient person and I have real work to do.
>
> It seems when I log on websites are all designed for windows,

  How can you tell?  I use websites all day, every day, and they work fine.

> Things like acrobat or Java runtime.

  ...neither of which are Windows things...

> The masses that use desktops and not cellphones, I thought used Windows
> or Apple OS.

  Some do.  Not as many as Microsoft fanboys would like.

> When I think of VMS I think VAX and PDP-11.

  VMS doesn't have anything to do with the PDP-11. (well strictly
speaking that's not true, but it is not and never has been a PDP-11 OS)

> Neither of which had GUIs,
> but that's certainly not now I can see.

  No, it's not true now, and hasn't been for thirty years.  My main
desktop system in 1989 was a VAX with a 19" monitor running a GUI, and
it was far from an unusual configuration.  VAXen had GUIs even a few
years before that.

> If I master TCP/IP on VMS next is DECnet.

  Bravo.  DECnet is a nice protocol suite.  Which brings this back
on-topic. =)