[HECnet] Getting openvms going

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Thu Nov 14 19:17:34 PST 2019

On Thursday, November 14, 2019 at 5:12 PM, Bill Cunningham wrote:
> On 11/13/2019 5:28 PM, Mark Pizzolato wrote:
> > There are many ways to skin a cat.  Some of these ways have
> > complicated steps and some have fewer.
> >
> > The latest simh has support to simplify the import of licenses,
> > source code files and other data from the host system environment
> > using:
> >
> > 	1) Extract the license files from the email you received
> >                      and save them somewhere in your local file system
> >                     (say Hobbyist-USE-ONLY-VA.TXT and Hobbyist-USE-ONLY-I64.TXT)
> > 	2) Start the VAX simulator and enter this command:
> > 		sim> ATTACH TQ -F ANSI-VMS Hobbyist-*
>
>      The command above Mark does not seem to work on my VMS at all. I
> can get it to accept this,

Notice the "sim> " prompt.  Hopefully that you realize that this
isn't a VMS command, but a simh command which could either
be entered manually or be part of your configuration file.

> att tq -F FIXED vmst  /* vmst is a rename of the Hobbyist VA.TXT
> license, tried the original name it didn't work either */

I don't know where you got the source code you've compiled into
the simulator, and you've not show the output of:

	sim> SHOW VERSION

The latest simh code is available at https://github.com/simh/simh
which is a git repository.  If you want a zip download, that can be
had from https://github.com/simh/simh/archive/master.zip

> > 	3) Boot VMS and login on the console and then execute the following
> commands:
> > 		$ MOUNT/OVER=ID MUA0:
> > 		$ @MUA0:Hobbyist-USE-ONLY-VA.TXT

Once you get the earlier commands correctly (with "ATT TQ -F ANSI-VMS vmst"),
Since you've renamed the file you're putting on the tape, the above VMS commands will then be:

	$ MOUNT/OVER=ID MUA0:
	$ @MUA0:VMST.

Note the trailing period will be required since it seems you renamed
the "Hobbyist-USE-ONLY-VA.TXT" file "vmst"

>      The OS request I mount the following name,
>
> mount /over=id _BUC$MUA0:  /* That it takes but it doesn't work */
>
> Ha I am stumped here. I can't remember what all the $ and : mean. And
> the [] I think mean directory. The numbers after ; I remember are
> version numbers and that's what purge is for.

Like, above where I prefixed simulator commands with "sim> ", the
VMS commands are prefixed with "$ ".  Both are the default prompts
from the respective environments.

- Mark