[HECnet] simh vax version

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Fri Nov 15 12:13:59 PST 2019

Hi Bill,

I have no idea what you are actually typing, but this is a session I just did on my Android phone (Linux):

Note that the -v switch for tape attaches gets it to be verbose about what is going on under the covers.

$ cd simh
$ BIN/vax

MicroVAX 3900 simulator V4.0-0 Current        gi
t commit id: 178968a6
sim> att tq -vf ansi-vms sim*
SIM_BUILDROMS.C

        11 blocks of data
SIM_CARD.C

        30 blocks of data
SIM_CARD.H

        3 blocks of data
SIM_CONSOLE.C

        90 blocks of data
SIM_CONSOLE.H

        4 blocks of data
SIM_DEFS.H

        36 blocks of data
SIM_DISK.C

        105 blocks of data
SIM_DISK.H

        3 blocks of data
SIM_ETHER.C

        91 blocks of data
SIM_ETHER.H

        12 blocks of data
SIM_FIO.C

        18 blocks of data
SIM_FIO.H

        3 blocks of data
SIM_FRONTPANEL.C

        55 blocks of data
SIM_FRONTPANEL.H

        13 blocks of data
SIM_IMD.C

        17 blocks of data
SIM_IMD.H

        4 blocks of data
SIM_REV.H

        69 blocks of data
SIM_SCSI.C

        35 blocks of data
SIM_SCSI.H

        4 blocks of data
SIM_SERIAL.C

        42 blocks of data
SIM_SERIAL.H

        3 blocks of data
SIM_SOCK.C

        25 blocks of data
SIM_SOCK.H

        4 blocks of data
SIM_TAPE.C

        102 blocks of data
SIM_TAPE.H

        7 blocks of data
SIM_TIMER.C

        78 blocks of data
SIM_TIMER.H

        5 blocks of data
SIM_TMXR.C

        125 blocks of data
SIM_TMXR.H

        12 blocks of data
SIM_VIDEO.C

        47 blocks of data
SIM_VIDEO.H

        5 blocks of data
Tape Image made from 'sim*' scanned as ANSI-VMS
format.
contains 2181744 bytes of tape data (1245 record
s, 94 tapemarks)
sim> att tq -fv ansi-vms scp.c
SCP.C

        318 blocks of data
Tape Image made from 'scp.c' scanned as ANSI-VMS
 format.
contains 651824 bytes of tape data (325 records,
 4 tapemarks)
sim>

Notice that it seems to easily find the desired files and place them on the tape.

One thing that I usually ask for on bug reports and/or support requests is the output produced by SHOW VERSION and the output produced when you build the simulator with "make vax".

I leave how for you to gather that info up to you on your chosen working environment.

- Mark

On Nov 15, 2019 11:05 AM, Bill Cunningham <bill.cu at suddenlink.net> wrote:

On 11/14/2019 10:48 PM, Mark Pizzolato wrote:
> On Thursday, November 14, 2019 at 7:42 PM, Bill Cunningham wrote:
>> Ok version number or "git commit id" On the version I am using is 178968a, the
>> version I downloaded from the link you sent me is bdc677b7.
>> They are indeed very different.
> Well, git commit ids are merely a hash value.  There is nothing sequential about them.  178968a is from some 11 days ago and should certainly be more recent enough to perform the steps I outlined, so you shouldn't need to rebuild the simulator.
>
>>>      $ MOUNT/OVER=ID MUA0:
>>       The above gives me a list of errors. The OS does not like it at all and IDK how
>> to copy the errors to a file to post them. It wants
>> _BUC$MUA0: . Not MUA0: at all.
> 2 things:
>
> 1) Don't expect later commands to be even slightly useful until AFTER you get the earlier commands working as expected (i.e. the proper ATT TQ -F ANSI-VMS command).
>
> 2) Either _BUC$MUA0: or simply MUA0: will work once you've gotten far enough along.  If it doesn't then please show us exactly what error messages you are receiving.
>
> You seemed to suggest that you were working on a Linux environment, use cut and paste from the xterm session you are running under.  If that's not what you're using, then please explain exactly what's going on.  Since you don't seem to be that familiar with working in this environment, how did you manage to get the license file from where you received the email to the environment you're running simh in?
>
> - Mark

One thing I despise generally Mark is GUIs, I have been working from
CLI. But I installed the LDXE desktop environment which I don't know
much about but copy/paste should be simple. LDXE gave me one Hell of a
time with copy/paste, and absolutely whatever I did would not let me
select from xterm or the desktop the errors. So I wrote them down and
will simply copy myself.

sim> att tq -f ansi-vms vmst /* the license file */

Can't open: //mst - no such file or directory.

Can't open tape image.

Of course there might be something I am forgetting and not doing here.

I also type at the prompt in all caps, same result. For example,

ATT -F ANSI-VMS  VMST

Same errors.

Bill