[HECnet] 9600 bps

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Nov 17 03:01:44 PST 2019

On 2019-11-17 01:21, Supratim Sanyal wrote:
> A terminal running at 9600 baud, 8N1, would display/process one
> character approximately every millisecond (1066.6666 characters in 1000
> milliseconds).
>
> Is this math correct?

No. But not far off.
9600 *bps*, 8N1 means you'll have 10 bits per character.
1 start bit, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit.
At 9600 bps, that would result in 960 characters per second.

(Baud and bps is not the same thing, although they often are equivalent.
But avoid using the term baud, unless you really know what you are
talking about...)