[HECnet] Bringing up a MicroVAX 3100-80

John H. Reinhardt johnhreinhardt at thereinhardts.org
Wed Apr 1 23:04:39 PDT 2020

On 4/1/2020 11:55 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On 3/31/20 12:37 AM, John H. Reinhardt wrote:
>>>     Waitaminute...so the disk image that you generated by reading a
>>> bootable 7.3 CD differs from the HPE-distributed 7.3 file?  Does the
>>> latter not contain standalone backup at the beginning, etc?
>> Yes.  The file I downloaded from HP (just two weeks ago) is a backup
>> save set zipped into an archive. It's not a disk image. Well, unless the
>> backup saveset is a of a diskimage. But I don't think so.
>
>    Wow, ok, I didn't know that.  My 7.3 CD image certainly isn't like
> that; it's bootable into standalone BACKUP.  I've burnt it to physical
> disks several times, and installed VMS many times from them, on lots of
> machines.
>
>    Surely they knew the other approach wouldn't be terribly useful?
>
>              -Dave

Never mind what I said.  *sigh*  Turns out there is both a zip of the CD image AND (why, I don't know) zip of the image backup of the CD.  Somehow the other night I missed seeing the image ZIP and unzipped the backup.  So you *can* download a working V7.3 CD image from HPE.

Too many late nights this week...

--
John H. Reinhardt