[HECnet] VAX/Smalltalk-80

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 14:14:05 PDT 2020

Yes, that is pretty awesome!

I don't suppose any flavor of Smalltalk ever made it over to the
PDP-10?  I think Object Oriented Lisp (Lisp with Flavors) may have made it.

There was a graphics device called a Type 340 Precision Incremental CRT
Display which was used on the PDP-6 and available on the KA-10.  I saw
one at MIT on MIT-AI (ITS).  Since Tenex started out on a KA-10, it is
available there, too.

I never heard of it on the KI-10 but I believe it was possible. For
internal memory on the 20, probably not.  Tops-20 has certain small
traces of the device.

However, SIMH does in fact implement the Type 340; apparently, fully.
You can a pop-up window with all the dots in the right places.  I had
started investigating porting some of that code to KLH10.  One assumes
with the SIMH KL, it could be made available. It's an interesting thought.