[HECnet] Hello from New Zealand

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sat Aug 1 10:12:43 PDT 2020

> On Aug 1, 2020, at 4:48 AM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>
> On 2020-08-01 09:39, Dave McGuire wrote:
>> On 7/31/20 5:57 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>>> John, very cool to see you green on the map as well.
>>> (http://akdesign.dyndns.org:8080/map in case someone might have missed it)
>>   Did we ever work out why I see no routes coming in or out of my network on that map?  I'm running a Cisco (7604 if you care) with GRE bridges.
>
> At least part of the problem is that Cisco boxes don't talk NICE, which is the protocol used to map out the network. As long as there is just one Cisco box in the middle, it can sortof be inferred how it is connected from its neighbors. But if you have two Cisco boxes connected, and nothing else nearby, then it start becoming hard.
>
> Maybe Paul have some ideas of what could be done here? It might be that we just have to hardwire some connectivity information into Pauls mapping code for such nodes...

Manual connectivity info would be an option, but in a way that goes counter to what the map is trying to be.

I tried SNMP.  Unfortunately, my ISP filters that.  If someone has an Internet host capable of communicating with those Cisco boxes via SNMP, unfiltered, and is willing to be a gateway, we could get around that issue.

	paul