[HECnet] Hello from New Zealand

David Moylan djm at wiz.net.au
Sat Aug 1 16:34:56 PDT 2020

Hi John,

you have addresses allocated in Bob's area 2.XXX which means you can only have a connection across to Bob. if you want to run multiple connections to multiple other area routers, you would need to be running your own area.

if you are in a situation where the machine running your multinet connection may be up/down and this affects your connectivity then my recommendation would be to setup a machine running pyDECnet.

if you have bigger plans to run as a hub for NZ and may have other people interested in hooking up to you then I would speak to Johnny and see if he is able to allocate you an area. you could then establish multiple GRE tunnels via your Cisco router, or setup a dedicated pyDECnet machine which then gives you the flexibility to run both GRE and Multinet both upstream and downstream.

cheers, Wiz!!