[HECnet] Hello from New Zealand

John Yaldwyn jy at xtra.co.nz
Sat Aug 1 17:07:38 PDT 2020

Bob's right. The machine with MultiNet doesn't have an appropriate routing license but I'm actively looking at another old VAX to see what might be recovered.

By the way I've had no response to my OpenVMS Hobbyist license requests sent some two weeks ago. I used a couple of different email addresses in case one was somehow blocked. While I received an automated response in each case, nothing has happened since.

Bob, while I do run two Centos servers to support the New Zealand DMR MARC and IPSC2 DMR+ international ham DMR repeater networks, my Linux knowledge is pretty rudimentary! These are real servers  in server room at my work as that was an easier thing to manage (for me at least) than something virtualised.

Given my work with Cisco on pretty much a daily basis it has become my platform of choice for routing and switching tasks and I'm impressed that IOS supports DECnet.

Other options are possible but with routers already installed and running, expanding the config to add HECnet avoids more hardware.

Cheers, John