[HECnet] RSTS patch, highly recommended

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Aug 14 12:06:03 PDT 2020

Gentlepeople,

I just found a small but nasty bug in the DECnet/E NML (network management listener).  When it is asked for information that comes back in a stream of messages, it may hit a transmit queue full condition.  That's more likely if the requesting node does ACK delaying, as PyDECnet does, but it can also happen if the network latency is significant.

For that status, the transmit is supposed to be retries, but due to a one line error in the code it was not.  The attached patch file fixes that.  Feed it to ONLPAT, with "file to patch" the NML image, which normally would be DECNET$:NCP.TSK.

Tested on V10.1; the patch may well work on older versions too.

If you have NML enabled on your HECnet system, the network mapper will probably connect and ask for a bunch of things.  Those requests are likely to exercise this bug, so for such systems I urge you to install the patch.

	paul