[HECnet] NETMAPPER login attempts?

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Fri Aug 21 20:20:00 PDT 2020

I figured that it was related, though I’m not sure you’re actually getting any info out of my nodes.

%%%%%%%%%%%  OPCOM  21-AUG-2020 21:47:09.28  %%%%%%%%%%%    (from node LNGTOM at 21-AUG-2020 22:42:30.55)
Message from user AUDIT$SERVER on LNGTOM
Security alarm (SECURITY) and security audit (SECURITY) on LNGTOM, system id: 62101
Auditable event:          Network login failure
Event time:               21-AUG-2020 22:42:30.55
PID:                      2060021B
Process name:             NML_8195
Username:                 NML$SERVER
Remote nodename:          28NH
Remote node id:           42012 (41.28)
Remote username:          NETMAPPER

On a mildly related note, I now have a plugin for Nagios that will let me monitor the availability of systems that only run DECnet.  I’ll probably try to put together one for LAT in the near future.  While I was working on it last night, it correctly alerted me to HAM being down.

Zane