[HECnet] NETMAPPER login attempts?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Aug 22 13:27:02 PDT 2020

On 2020-08-22 19:09, Paul Koning wrote:
> Apparently VMS treats DECnet object authentication failure as login failure, which is faintly sensible since they use the same authentication scheme (username/password).

Sure. In some sense. But I do find it slightly misleading to see a login
failure, when in fact it was access to an object over DECnet that was
happening.

The mechanism as such is the same in RSX, and I would assume also RSTS/E.
You make use of the same user database, along with associated passwords.

   Johnny

> 	paul
>
>> On Aug 22, 2020, at 7:01 AM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>>
>> Hmm. But Zane mentioned login attempts? What's exactly in the log? Is it actually login attempts, or NICE requests?
>>
>>   Johnny
>>
>> On 2020-08-22 03:04, Paul Koning wrote:
>>> Yes, that's the mapper, you can see it here: http://akdesign.dyndns.org:8080/map
>>> It sends NICE requests -- network management queries equivalent to these NCP commands:
>>> 1. show executor characteristics
>>> 2. show known circuits status