[HECnet] Configuring py-decnet.

David Moylan djm at wiz.net.au
Sun Aug 23 15:42:45 PDT 2020

Hi Thord,

You also have two GRE definitions which looks wrong.

You should have one circuit definition for PyDECnet to listen on the tap interface and another for your tunnel to Peter.
I don't know what this line is for:

circuit gre-0 GRE 192.168.12.161  <-- This is real address to host machine.

You also have two network adapters on your emulated machine - if you setup a local bridge, there is no requirement for this.

RSTS > xq > tap interface > bridge
PyDECnet > tap interface > bridge
Ethernet interface > bridge
Configure IP address on bridge

Then configure PyDECnet to listen on the tap interface and run the GRE tunnel to Peter.

You can also use pcap as you have configured below which I understand works fine. I personally use the tap interface directly with the PyDECnet patch as posted earlier.

In my case, I have tap91 going to my emulated vax (I chose this because the vax is 35.91 and I wanted to use a numbering system that reflected this).
I have tap1023 configured for PyDECnet.

In my vax.ini file I have:

; this is decnet phase iv node 35.91
set xq mac=AA-00-04-00-5B-8C
attach xq tap:tap91

and an example pydecnet.conf:

circuit tap-1023 Ethernet tap:tap1023 --random-address
circuit gre-12 GRE 11.22.33.44 --cost 5

as posted just below, the MAC address must be the correct one for your DECnet host.
The example above uses my MAC address for my 35.91 node.

There is a conversion page here that you can use:
http://powerdog.com/addrconv.cgi

and Peter has already done one of the calculations for you below.

cheers, Wiz!!