[HECnet] Configuring py-decnet --> patches

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Aug 26 17:16:02 PDT 2020

On 2020-08-27 01:47, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On 8/26/20 4:40 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>> Let me put it this way. If any tool causes you any problems, first
>> check if there is something newer on MIM, and if so - grab and test that.
>> If not, let me know, and I can probably fix it.
>
>    I'm sure I speak for all of us here when I say THANK YOU for this.

The thing is - some of the bugs and issues I've worked on are rather
obscure. You might occasionally observe there is something funny going
on, but understanding where the problem is, and finding the fixed file
on MIM is not always so easy, nor how to apply it.

Take MCR, for example. There are multiple things I've fixed. Both in
MCR... and ...MCR (they are two different things). And applying them
needs that you update things through VMR. Can't be done on a running
system. (Well, ...MCR can, but MCR... cannot.)

My TCP/IP package already does that patch for you however, so you should
be good.

Hey, here is something for people to look at, to make you aware of
things you might be interested in: MIM::US:[BQT]FIX.TXT contains all the
work I've been doing for a possible future V5.0 release of RSX-11M-PLUS.
A lot of those fixes apply just fine also for V4.6, but don't ask about
the subdirectory stuff. That is just too complex to patch up, and there
are still a couple of corners I'm not done with.

>> And while I'm on it. At the moment there is a long standing bug in
>> NICE on RSX, which have been annoying me slightly for a long time, but
>> which is now starting to become serious enough that I need to look
>> deeper into it. If you do a "NCP TELL MIM SHOW KNOWN NODES" the list
>> is incomplete. If you look carefully, some nodes are missing, which
>> will be there, if you explicitly ask for them.
>>
>> This becomes a larger problem because if someone on a VMS system does
>> an "NCP COPY KNOWN NODES FROM MIM ..." they will not be getting the
>> full list either. And the same goes for RSX users using NNC to copy
>> the known nodes from MIM.
>
>    Ah-HA!!  I have seen exactly this.  I thought I was losing my mind.

Well, now you know you aren't. :-)