[HECnet] PyDECnet and IPv6

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue Dec 1 05:01:27 PST 2020

> On Dec 1, 2020, at 1:00 AM, David Moylan <djm at wiz.net.au> wrote:
> Unfortunately my home internet has a dynamic IP address. I currently have my PyDECnet instance at home connected via Multinet to the office where I run another PyDECnet instance that runs as the area router for area 35, so I don't think I'll be able to test this IPv6 code at the moment.

Dave,

PyDECnet, inspired by a suggestion from Robert Jarrett who did likewise in his C based router, can handle dynamic addresses.  It does so by periodicallly refreshing the address data from DNS.  It also tries to do this "when needed" though that part of the algorithm needs more work.

So if you have the ability to use Dynamic DNS and have the A and/or AAAA record updated when the address changes, that should work.

	paul