[HECnet] DECnet-10 doesn't work past Nov 9 2021?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Dec 27 10:10:48 PST 2020

On 2020-12-27 19:06, Robert Armstrong wrote:
>> John Forecast wrote:
>> DECnet event logging for any system may fail after Nov 9th 2021.
>
>    Oh, that's a much bigger deal!  Do you happen to know if VMS handles this field as unsigned??  A lot of people here are going to be bummed if VMS quits working next fall...

As mentioned, RSX will handle it fine.
But anyway, I'm not sure this really is that much of a deal. Logging
will get the wrong dates, or may fail more fatally. But that's just
logging. It don't actually have much to do with the actual operations.

Of course, I have no idea what may fall out if logging throws a wrench
into the system, though.

For RSX, even after 2065, it won't really be a problem. Logs will just
have the wrong date, which have some implications if you are going to be
searching through logs for things on a specific date, or if you look at
printouts.