[HECnet] DECnet-10 doesn't work past Nov 9 2021?

John Forecast john at forecast.name
Wed Dec 30 16:17:59 PST 2020

> On Dec 30, 2020, at 5:11 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>
> Well, for another year from now, this isn't even being tested. Only on Nov 9, 2021 will the value exceed 32767, at which point things could potentially become funny.
> VMS apparently seems to just truncate at 15 bits, so it reports dates back in 1977 again after that time. But we don't know if that truncation happens at sender or receiver...
>
> RSX should continue to show correct dates on events up until 2065, treating the value as an unsigned 16 bit value.
>
> Since any kind of fixing will require changes in the code anyway, I do think the least intrusive change is to just adopt what RSX did, and use all 16 bits as an unsigned value, which means nothing really changes beyond that we continue as things are.
>
> If I got things right, VMS might show and/or report dates back in 1977 again. Annoying, but nothing worse than that.
>
> Tops-10 seems to currently do a BUGHLT, so that really needs fixing.
>
> TOPS-20 is a bit unknown, but it might just report wrong dates.
>
> RSTS/E? Paul, could you check? I would hope that maybe the last release/patches would make RSTS/E do the same thing as RSX.
>
> I have no idea about Ultrix or any other implementation. Anyone else who can complement this information with more details?

It’s pretty painful to test this on Ultrix. The latest version I have a DECnet release for is 4.0 which does not include Y2K patches. In particular, date cannot accept a year past 1999 so you have to keep setting the date/time to 12312359.59, let it roll over the date to the following year and repeat until you get to the desired year. That said, it doesn’t crash but it does generate some strange dates - probably because it’s expecting to display the year in 2 digits:

 Event type 4.15, Adjacency up
Occurred 18-Sep-212 12:00:13.0 on node 63.223
Circuit QNA-0
Adjacent node = 63.2

date
Sun Jan  1 00:00:35 EST 2023