[HECnet] SIMH experience?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Feb 24 14:17:27 PST 2020

On 2020-02-24 22:28, Fred wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I've moved my SIMH VAXen to a new host with a new version of SIMH (the
> current 3.11 that I found - is there a newer version?)

3.11 would suggest you are sticking to Bobs development. There is also
the "fork" by Mark. Not sure which, if either, is better...

> Main host runs Devuan Linux (yes, I'm a systemd hater).  VirtualBox VM
> hosts the SIMH instance, also running Devuan Linux.

systemd needs to die.

> My area router, FRUGAL, boots fine and gets adjacency with my
> Multinet-over-IP connections, that is, LEGATO, MIM, and 31.3:: as well
> as other DECNet hosts (MISER, CHEAP)
>
> However, the connection from FRUGAL "flaps" (going up and down) quite a
> bit with local DECNet hosts as well as the ip-connection to 31.3::
>
> I've tried eliminating the connection to 31.3:: as the culprit by
> turning off the circuit, and the connection between FRUGAL:: and MISER::
> (both local nodes) continues to go up and down every few minutes.
>
> I'd welcome some pointers, things to check, etc.  Is there such a thing
> as an adjacency timer perhaps I could crank up a bit?

You could crank up the hello timer on the circuit, but I'm not sure
you'll be much happier with that.
Sounds like you might have some issues with how it performs on the
ethernet. Hard to tell much without more investigation...