[HECnet] Multinet alternatives ...

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 12:14:25 PST 2020

What issues had you encountered talking to Tops-20??

If you are using the SIMH emulator for a KS processor, then the latest
version of Tops-20 you can run is 4.2, which I believe will do Phase
III.  Since there was never any Ethernet adapter for the KS (it was a
massbus device), I believe you must speak DDCMP, which we used with
KMC's, which would do 56Kbs.  There was a slower adaptor for 9.6Kbs, but
the name escapes me at the moment.

I've had little trouble with Tops-20 V7 DECnet; that is, once I got it
to working.  When I was modifying FAL/DAP to accept anonymous transfers,
I and and others beat on it quite a lot to wring the bugs out.  These
regression tests were against another 20, RSX 11M+ (or whatever MIM:: is
running) and a couple of Vaxen.  The operating system level code was
robust; no crashes.

We found some interesting bugs; I think my favorite was RSX wanting all
capital letters for months and Tops-20 sending capitalized months, so
file dates got messed up.  There were others, but they took some effort
to remediate; so, not so favorite...