[HECnet] Multinet alternatives ...

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 12:21:14 PST 2020

What kind of Phase II node did you test against??  I'm not aware of many.

A VERY long time ago (late 1970's), DEC managed to get Columbia to test
something called a DN200, which was a DECnet based RJE station.  As it
was far more expensive than a serial line based printer, we never bought
it (but never seemed to return it, either).

The vestigial code in LPTSPL is still there, called NURD (Network Unit
Record Devices) which I was able to adapt to get our 20's to print to
each either.  Basically I wrote a little server (called LSRV) that
emulated the NURD interface well enough.  Then I lobotomized some
strategic parts of the spooler not to notice the difference.  Saved us a
couple of thousand dollars on line printers in the machine room.

As I recall, that was a Phase II node which downloaded it's code from
the 20.  Or maybe it was the version of MCB DN20's we had at the time.