[HECnet] Routing changes for LEGATO

Robert Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Tue Feb 25 17:13:34 PST 2020

  I have switched from using LEGATO as the area 2 router to using Paul's
pyDECnet router instead.  I'm very impressed - it doesn't run under VMS, but
other than that pyDECnet does pretty much everything you could want to do
with DECnet or HECnet all in a single package.  It only took me a couple of
hours to get it all set up, and it can manage all the Multinet links and the
one "Bilquist Bridge" link that were formerly attached to LEGATO.

  The new router for area 2 is (what else?) A2RTR, 2.1023.  Johnny, please
add this node name to your database.

  LEGATO is still there, but it's been demoted to an L1 router and it
doesn't do anything now except route between HECnet and the real, physical,
machines in my house.

  For the people who were/are connected to LEGATO there should be no real
difference except that you'll now see A2RTR on the other end of the link
instead.  Everything else should work as before.  Let me know if you find
some problem.

  And a special thanks to Paul and Supratim for answering my silly questions
and helping me set it up.

Bob