[HECnet] CISCO router nodenames table updater

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 02:35:31 PST 2020

I don't have a Cisco router anymore, but I find the automatic generation
of the nodename database in Tops-20 SETNOD format to be /very/// useful.

I have a weekly recurring batch job which checks connectivity to MIM::
and if it is up, it grabs a copy of the file.  This is pushed through
SETNOD to update the monitor's data base.  Back in the day, it would
have been called trivial in that there is no editing: no TECO and
certainly no awk or sed.  I suspect it would largely be useful on
Tops-10 if you have any familiarity with Galaxy batch.

It has a limitation in that it while it will report removed nodes, it
does not remove them from the monitor's data base. This requires an
undocumented feature in NODE% and some in SETNOD enhancements to compute
set differences.  As I've said in the past, SETNOD could benefit from a
buff and polish or perhaps a complete rewrite.

Drop me a note if you'd like a copy.