[HECnet] Multinet alternatives ...

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 14:49:28 PST 2020

Not much, regretfully.  Tops-20 was first brought up on a KI processor
as a port from BBN TENEX which used a considerably more sophisticated
page box.  I don't believe it was ever productized and these sources are
believed lost.

By and large, a KI used some different hardware than a KL (the RH20
comes to mind) although they could and did share a great deal of equipment.

You would likely have never seen a DTE on a KS processor; there was no
need and no PDP-11 processor.  The KS addressed the Unibus directly.  A
DTE was found on PDP-11's (I think 11/34's and 11/40's) to connect them
to KL-10's.  One side was unibus based and the other connected to the KL
(I don't recall whether it was massbus based).  You could have
theoretically used a DTE to connect a KS to a KL, but I don't believe
this was ever done.

One assumes that SIMH could emulate the unibus side of the DTE interface
for the PDP-11, perhaps encapsulating the packets and sending them to a
KLH10 based DTE via IP datagrams.  You could bring up a nice bit of
software, IBM HASP multileaving comes to mind and perhaps an AN20.

Although he really loved it, MRC had a lot of comments about the KL.  It
is a difficult beast to emulate; the page box is far more complex than
the KI (although by no means as complex as the BBN page box).  There are
meters and a bunch of other things.  The KL-B class extended addressing
complicates things too.